EP- EP for Pets

(Jasmine, one of my four furry family members)

Pets are considered a part of the family for many pet owners. However, very few owners plan for the care of their fury animals if something should happen to them. There are many options available for pet owners regarding who should take care of their pet if they become incapacitated or pass away. Some may elect to create a Pet Trust. Hotel heiress Leona Helmsley named her Maltese as her heir, leaving a $12 million trust fund for the dog. For others, a Pet Trust may not be the best option.

You should discuss who should take care of your animal before an emergency arises. If you do not have a family member or friend who is able to care for your pets, you should look into the various programs available in your area. One place you may want to start looking is the Arizona Humane Society (“AZHS”). AZHS may be able to help you complete your estate plan to include care for your furry family members. Below are just a couple of programs available through AZHS.

Project Assist: Provides foster care for up to 30 days for pets of individuals who are hospitalized or in a medical situation.

Continuation Care Program: This program is reserved for Legacy Circle members. AZHS ensures that your pets are placed with new families that are carefully selected.

For more information regarding AZHS programs please contact the AZHS Alternative Placement Department at alternativeplacement@azhumane.org or call (602) 997-7585.

Laura Morrison Trujillo