Motion for Summary Judgment

Recording a Judgment

I began this series on judgments in the firm’s January newsletter. Once you have won your case and obtained a motion for summary judgment, what then?  How do you collect the money you are owed?

The first thing you should do is obtain an officially certified copy of the judgment from the court clerk’s office. This can be obtained for a nominal fee. Immediately upon receipt, the judgment should be recorded in the county recorder’s office of the county in which the defendant resides. It should also be recorded in every county in which the defendant owns property.

Further steps will be addressed in future posts.

Michael L. Kitchen